Thursday, August 29, 2013

Why the Question?

A tear streamed down Edison's face as I threw my suitcase into the bus, squeezing it into a spot so it would not fall as we made our drive back to Belize city. Edison was begging us not to leave, pleading with everything he had in him. As the tears began to come harder, I knew this would not be an easy goodbye. The ten year old boy was about to watch the people who cared for him the past week drive out of his life, until we would return next year. I grabbed Edison's hand and guided him over to the wooden table under the giant tree in the middle of the schoolyard. Just as I was about to say my final goodbye, Edison began to speak. 

"Lauren, I know you think of our lifestyle as a giant struggle, and sometimes it is. But in my life, I have experienced so many moments of pure happiness. This week that you all have been here, has allowed me to have a smile on my face the whole time. Even when I would go home to sleep, no matter what was happening at home I knew I had you guys to look forward to the next day. And when you leave, I will still always find something to look forward too, but it will just take more searching. Happiness is a choice and while you guys see our lives as miserable and unbearable, some of us chose to deal with it and be happy while others choose to fall into the misery of the poor conditions." 

He continued by thanking us for all that we had done for Forest Home Methodist School and said goodbye. Immediately as I dragged myself onto the bus, I whipped out my journal and wrote down what he said, in awe of the mature words that had just come from this ten year olds mouth. My idea on happiness would forever be changed from what Edison had told me, and I knew that I would never forget. 
Happiness is a Choice.
I turned my head one last time to get a glimpse of Edison off in the distance, waving goodbye.



1 comment: